New London Friends Cemetery has deep roots with the New London Friends
Movement. Friends, as they are known, came to New London from Ohio,
Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina in the early 1840’s. The
first meeting House was built of logs and was located “east of
the Ravine”. It served as Meeting House and school until it
burned sometime before 1850. Behind it was what is called by some
“The Old Pioneer Cemetery.” Many graves in this cemetery
date back to the mid 1800s and before. All that remains of the cemetery
from the ravages of time are a strip of legible grave stones placed
back to back in a row.
In the later 1800s, the cemetery to the west of “The Old Pioneer
Cemetery” known to some as the “Honey Creek Cemetery”
began. From that, the cemetery expanded to the New London Friends
Cemetery as it is known today.
This project was completed by Tom Quinn in December of 2004.